Surrendering a Pet
Low Cost Veterinary Services
Animal Protection and Education (APE) http://www.goape.info/ provides low cost spay/neuters and vaccine clinics.
Pet Food Assistance
We have a limited amount of pet food available, please call to set up an appointment for pickup.
Ames Pet Food Bank g also offers pet food assistance. Please contact Iowa Home Consulting at 515-450-2946 for further details.
You are the best advocate for your pet. Here’s some ways you can rehome your pet on your own.
- Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet.com have created a simple, reliable free program to help you place your pet from your loving home directly to another. Here’s what you need to do to list your pets:
- Create a Pet Profile
- Review applications – their dedicated team will give you all the help you need to select the best potential adopters.
- Meet adopters. The Rehome team will guide you through the process of setting safe and pressure-free meetings with applicants.
- Finalize the adoption. Rehome will provide you with an adoption contract to protect the transfer of our pet ownership. The new adopters must pay a small rehoming fee that will be donated to us or another rescue.
- Get the word out about your pet needing a new home in as many places as possible. Talk to friends, family members, coworkers, neighbors, your veterinarian, your groomer – they may know someone who might be interested in adopting your pet.
- You can also create a listing on the local Facebook pet rehoming groups or on general adoption websites like https://getyourpet.com/ or http://petbond.com/.
Pets are taken by appointment only. If you have exhausted all your options and feel that you must surrender your pet, please fill out the form for either dogs or cats. This form will help us get to know your pet, their past and their current situation. We will review the form and call you to set up an appointment.
Filling out this form will help BAHS get to know you, your dog, their past and the current situation. BAHS will review the form and call you with questions and/or set up an appointment. Please keep in mind that BAHS is not required to take owner surrenders and will do so on a case by case basis.